09 June 2009

Rene RICHARD - Cedar Key, Florida


Names: Rene RICHARD, Remie RICHARD
Locations: Cedar Key, Florida; Gary, Indiana
Dates: 1910s, 1930
I found Rene in a strange, dark antique hole-in-the-wall shop in Micanopy, Florida where her photo was filed amongst numerous other ancestors astray from the west coast of Florida.
According to the back of this photo, Renee RICHARDS was living in Cedar Key, Florida. From her dress--which I'm coveting a bit, I might add--I'd guess this photo was taken sometime in the late1910s or so. My usual search techniques have been unsuccessful, and frankly I'm a little surprised: how hard is it to find a woman named Rene, a fairly uncommon name, in a small place like Cedar Key? The 1930 Census indicates a number of Richard or Richards families living on Cedar Key...but none even remotely sounding like "Rene". A searh of the 1920 Census failed to even return someone with the last name of Richard living in Cedar Key.
A global search--forgetting about Cedar Key and searching the whole country--revealed a Rene Richard, born 1896, living with a husband Remie in Gary, Indiana in 1930. This Rene was born in Paris. Cedar Key was actually a busy port back in the day--but it is even possible that a French woman could have ended up there, when she later lived in Indiana? It is unlikely, but intriguing. Rene RICHARD's context will have to go unknown for now...but maybe someone will find her....

1 comment:

  1. Hello. I can not find a way to contact you except via the comments. I am in search of a family photo and wanted to send you the info on it and flyer I made to identify it. I was hoping you would post it and help get the word out and eyes open for people to check for it (I have a small copied portion of the original 8x10 that can be matched up with the full shot). please catch up with me: 4mygenealogyresearchATgmailDOTcom.



    ReplyDelete